Musical Field Trip

I love listening to opera. It is one of the best types of music I listen to when I’m doing my homework because it calms me. I’m not a large fan of rap music, I prefer music that doesn’t have an autotune and is full of raw talent. I was first introduced to opera music in the form of the opera Carmen but more importantly the aria Habanera. The words “Love is a rebellious bird” sounded like beautiful poetry to me. Since then, I have dedicated my time to filling my music library with more opera genres.
The genre of Opera was born in Italy 400 years ago during the Renaissance Era. When one thinks of opera, they think of vocals and orchestra personified. The melding of visual arts and dance come to play. There are two ways to determine Opera; Opera Seria- the rich socialites would gather to watch meaningful and “real” opera, Opera Buffa- comedies performed to make the audience laugh. Opera has come a long way from what it once was. Years before, boys were castrated to retain their soprano voices. Those that survived were famous during the 17th and 18th century.


One of the first pieces of Opera, which is lost now, was called Dafne. Composed by Jacopo Puccini, Dafne (Daphne) was the story of Apollo and his pursuit of the nymph Daphne. Due to the Enlightenment period, Opera has changed from stories of Gods to more human and realistic situations.

As I stated above, the story of Carmen is my favorite and was also the most famous piece of opera. Composed by Georges Bizet (1838-75) Carmen, is the story of a gypsy who values freedom above all else, and the Soldier who begins to obsess over her. It is written in 4 Acts. The Aria “Habanera”, is famously known and many have heard the instrumental/orchestral version play in the Disney movie "up". The opera itself was written during the Romantic Era and was not fully accepted because women were not fighting, sexually vivacious, and smoking cigarettes. Bizet dies 3 months later from a heart complication without learning of the Opera’s success years later.


I added the Video of Bugs Bunny in his role as Leopold in the espisode "Bugs Rules" because as he is as he is orchestrating, he is also showing the raising and lower of the vocal chords in a hilarious way. (I hope you enjoy).



The vocal Ranges/pitches to opera are: Soprano (Highest female voice, C4- C6 or even higher than that), Mezzo-Soprano (High female voice, A3-A5), Contralto (Lowest female voice, F4-E5), Tenor (Highest male voice, B2 to A4), Baritone (Male voice from G2 to F4), Bass (Lowest male voice, E2 to E4).  I myself am a soprano, I love singing while playing the piano. My mother is a Contralto and my Grandmother is a Soprano. I believe I inherited my grandmother's soprano voice.
Opera was originally written to be more monody (single singing with simple chords) to be more meaningful rather than polyphonic. During that time Polyphonic madrigals (one singer with instruments in rendition) were in fashion, opera was meant to be a poetic form of singing. After a while, the famous Homophonic signatures, such as frottola and villanelle, grew much more famous and became their own vocal genres.






sgelabert. Apolo e Dafne, En Sincro Producciones, 2009, www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsUQIhz7kG8. Aria from the opera "Dafne"

Comments

Popular Posts