"Demons" (Imagine Dragons)


Not many people can say they struggle in some form of relationship. Whether it’s children, significant other, or a friend. We all think life is lived through the surface of a person rather than substance. The song Demons (by an Alternative Rock band) Imagine Dragons made me feel the painful struggles in relationships. Demons was written by Imagine Dragons and Alex da Kid for the album Night Visions in 2013. Lead vocalist Dan Reynolds serenades the listener while Drummer Daniel Platzman sets the tempo for the song. Lead guitarist Wayne Sherman and bassist/keyboard player Ben McKee add into the song with their use of harmony.  The band itself had started in Las Vegas, Nevada and rocketed to stardom with their hit album Night visions.






Lyrics
I want to start off by stating the lyrics really resonate within the singer’s voice and give it a warning tone. In the lyrics “I want to hide the truth/ I want to shelter you/ but with the beast inside/ there’s nowhere we could hide,” Is telling the listener that he is struggling with something. In many instances it is a dangerous metaphor especially when thinking in terms of anger or also depression. It could mean he can’t protect you from himself and what his real personality is like underneath the layers.
The chorus- “When you feel my heat/ look into my eyes/ it’s where my demons hide/ it’s where my demons hide”- is really something to listen to. Dan is stating that when the listener stands close enough, they would be able to see the danger lurking in the singer’s eyes. He doesn’t want to say what the danger is, he prefers the listener look into his eyes and see for themselves.
Don’t want to let you down/ but I am hell bound/ though this is all for you/ don’t want to hide the truth”—Dan is talking about letting someone in no matter how dangerous it might be. It’s obvious the singer is telling the listener that he cannot change what or who he is but he’s done hiding it from the person this song is meant for.
There are many interpretations for this song because it depends on the listener. One interpretation is that the metaphorical man is struggling with a mental illness that makes him seem like poison to his relationship with a woman. Another one I found to like more is that the Man has issues that revolve around anger and is in need of healing.

Tempo
According to note discover, the song is 96 beats per minute and in Mb major. To make it more meaningful it has a slow tempo to allow the listener to build with the song. It is one of those memorable songs that is great to have when at a bonfire with friends or even cleaning alone in the home. It has a calming harmony that keeps the listener hooked but also emotionally lets insecurities out.

Chords
The chords (according to e-cord.com) the chords are D# Sharp Major, A# sharp major, Bm# Minor, and G# sharp Major on the guitar. I enjoy simple music that doesn’t get too complicated with all types of notes and chords. One of the reasons I love this particular piece is that I can easily learn to play it on my own. I occasionally play the guitar when I need a break from the piano, this is the first song I learned how to play. 

All-in-all I love this song. Normally I don’t listen to rock bands very often, but when I do dabble in music I get surprised. Some songs have stuck with me, others have lost their places in my iTunes library. This song will forever remain in my favorites playlist because I truly believe it stuck with me through tough times and it is kept as a reminder of how far I have come.

Ryan King called it “” Demons” adds more of an arena -ready twist that should go over well on mainstream radio”—King, Ryan. “Imagine Dragons Demon Better Than Radioactive.” The Music Universe.com, The Music Universe. 23 May 2013. Web. 2 Oct. 2017. https://themusicuniverse.com/imagine-dragons-demons-better-song-than-radioactive/

Q Magazine had said “It takes alt-rock drama and boy band syrup and bolts on some fun.-Size arena-singalong choruses.” Q Magazine, EMAP. 24 Apr. 2013.web. 2 Oct. 2017. http://www.metacritic.com/music/night-visions/imagine-dragons

 Imagine Dragons. “Demons.” Night Visions, Interscope Records, 2013, Track 4.

“Demons (Imagine Dragons Song)Wikipedia.com, Wikimedia Foundation.  15 Sept. 2017. Web. 2 Oct. 17. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demons_(Imagine_Dragons_song)

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too like this song, the words stick with you and are able to sing along. I found the same song sung by Boyce Avenue feat. Jennel Garcia, I hope you like it.
    https://youtu.be/9DLtzc9KLiw

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this song as well! There is just something about Imagine Dragons, I always enjoy their songs. I think you did a great job on your post, I like that you included a couple of different interpretations for the lyrics, it is definitely something to think about. I think that each person will interpret the lyrics slightly differently based on their own experiences/feelings. I also really like the song "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons. I get the same sort of feelings from this song, both will be stuck in my head for a week now!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktvTqknDobU

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts