MUS200 Blog#1

My name is Brianna Wassillie and I am a sophomore with the University of Alaska Fairbanks. I'm taking online classes from my hometown, Nunapitchuk, Alaska. Growing up I never had siblings but plenty of cousins to treat me as a little sister. I have a dog named Rio and a pup named Nala who take up most of my time. My hobbies include reading, writing ,playing the piano, and baking during my downtime. I'm usually found outdoors whether it be for camping, berry picking, hiking, swimming, or walking my dogs. I was raised by my single mother and uncle, who I thank for giving me the opportunity and support while attending school.

Music came into my life at a young age. In high school, I played the recorder, which was not my choice of instrument. I have long since given up on it. Singing is something that brings me happiness. I am a soprano and hitting high notes with ease took me a while to learn, mastering the lung capacity took longer. As a child attending church was not something I enjoyed. When I sang higher notes than the rest of the churchgoers couldn’t, the only sound that filled the church was my voice. For weeks everyone stared at me as if I was an alien.  I’m still not the best at it but I have come a long way since then. The one instrument that has been my outlet is the Piano. One day I overheard my mother playing the piano, from that day on I was hooked. From begging  her for months to teach me until she gave in to promising I would do all my chores for the week by tonight. When she finally did give in and teach me, would play every day after school until my fingers hurt. I still play the piano in my free time, by sheer willpower I even surpassed my mother. To this day I believe the piano is the instrument that chose me. For my 13th birthday, I was given a baby grand piano which I love dearly, but I still go back to the electric when I get the chance because it has more options for types of sounds the keys will play. I am a huge fan of opera music, classical, and acapella. One of my favorite groups is Straight No Chaser with their smash version of I'm Yours/Somewhere Over the Rainbow. I also dabble in Pop, Reggae, Metal, Rock, and a little bit of Reggaeton. If by chance I come across a snippet of a song that I found catchy, I will search apple music and buy it. In high school, we had open mic nights and an event called Riffon Hook. I enjoyed watching many talented students perform their acting skills or drum solos. It was really a sight to see. The instructor and the one to get it all together is a talented singer. I have her album in my music Library, her name is Natalie Joy and her album is Leaving Wonderland.

I found the story of Carmen to be really interesting. In many paintings, she has depicted an innocent gypsy. Whereas in the opera she is anything but innocent. She lured Don Jose away from his soldier duties and the woman he was meant to wed. The story of Carmen is a famous Opera created by French Composer Georges Bizet. The song many have heard over time is the Habanera, which I recommend because it is beautiful piece of opera. Image result for carmen innocent opera painting












 

Comments

  1. Yes, I also enjoy watching the opera as well. I have seen some of the movies that depict her own story line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will have a chance to write about "Carmen" in the "Music and the Fictive Dream" unit for this course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brianna, I enjoyed what you wrote about learning to sing. Are you self-taught or did you have formal lessons? I am learning to play guitar and would love to improve my voice when I sing along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Briana,
    I loved reading your introduction! I felt like I got to know you by reading this. It sounds like you have already lived a life full of warm memories, tons of activity and people that you love.
    Oh my goodness, we could use you at our church! So many of the songs are so high... And when people stare, I think it is only because so many are unused to singing aloud nowadays. I am glad that you pushed through and kept doing what was in your heart to do.
    I am so glad you mentioned Carmen! Bizet's Carmen was my first introduction to opera. That is, outside of the fat lady singing in Bugs Bunny. Hahah!
    I had made a comment about this to my mum... something about opera and Bugs Bunny.... and right then and there, she dug through all of our video cassettes and pulled out Francesco Rossi's film of "Carmen."

    This, combined with folk tales, made me obsessed with flamenco and gypsy culture... that is, until I discovered King Arthur and then later, Samurai and bushido culture... But that is a different story.

    So, who's rendition do you enjoy the most of Carmen?
    Attached is my favourite so far: Grace Bumbry performing "Seguedille."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry it took so long but yes i am self taught and a little bit of voice lessons. I love Bizet's Carmen mainly for the Opera itself, as a child I was the only one interested in opera and classical music. I identified more to music that gave me a sense of calm. I'm so glad you liked my introduction, I had thought it would have been to plain. I love Anna Caterina Antonacci's voice. I feel that she got into character and her voice was a perfect for the role of Carmen.

      Delete
  5. Don't apologize! You are doing great, Brianna!
    Thanks so much for the recommendation of Anna Caterina Antonacci! I have never heard of her before. I will be sure to check her out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts